JMMF Ocean Therapy Programs
JMMF offers several forms of therapy as occupational and clinical modalities utilizing the Ocean and Nature as the therapeutic environment to connect with our participants creating a safe space for steps towards healing.
- SURF THERAPY
- STAND UP PADDLE
- BODY SURFING
- WATER IMMERSION
- MOUNTAIN BIKING
- AND MORE…
Water-based adaptive sports therapies, specifically surfing, have garnered increased popularity around the globe as an alternative form of therapy for individuals of all ages with a variety of disabilities. Recognized as a sport associated with freedom and independence as well as a healthy lifestyle, surfing has been found to demonstrate not only physical benefits but also psychological benefits (Caddick et al, 2015). Learn More about Surf Therapy in our research articles here
The goals of JMMF Therapy are to:
- Increase participant/athlete self-efficacy by providing coaching and encouragement of learning a new skill.
- Build self-confidence by ensuring success in a new and unfamiliar activity.
- Offer a healthy alternative to addiction and self-medication habits for those suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) and physical and mental injuries including trauma.
- Provide the foundation for a positive outlook for those who have experienced injuries from traumatic events and stress.
- Reduce anxiety about the unknown and reinforce a framework for a successful transition into a safe community (for youth populations) and civilian life (for military populations).
- Build, and in some cases re-build, trust.
- For military populations, break down perceived barriers between military members and civilians to demonstrate to veterans that there are communities that care deeply about their health and welfare. We also seek to reinforce that they and their service to our country have not been “forgotten” or “overlooked”.
- Teach basic ocean conditions evaluation and ocean safety.