The 2020 International Jimmy Virtual Surf Fiesta Team ChallengeOctober 15th - November 15th 2020
Thank you so much to everyone who participated in the first ever Virtual Jimmy Surf Fiesta!
We are so inspired by your creativity and your connection to JMMF. Was great to see old faces and new faces; young groms and long time JMMF supporters.
We had entries come in from all over the South Bay, Trestles, Jalama, Mexico, El Salvador, Portugal, British Columbia in Canada, Maldives. The JMMF community is strong, global and thriving. We had everything from 1 foot Hermosa Beach shorebreak to 40-50 foot (yes- that’s right) Atlantic Ocean giants during one of the swells of the century.
The judging was tough. Not just for the winning team or best wave but also for the highly competitive grommet and family awards. But in the end, there can only be one winner – or in our case 7 winners.
1st Place Team
1st place for the Virtual Jimmy: Team Isurus with Raph Bruhwiler, Aqua Bruhwiler (14) from Tofino Canada, Ed Quinn from El Segundo, Grant Twiggy Baker from South Africa.
The video hit on so many elements of what makes The Jimmy amazing. Family, global community connected to Jimmy, amazing surfing, world travel and more. Thank you so much for taking the time to create such an amazing testament to Jimmy and the JMMF.
From the same team Isurus and no surprise considering he is one of the best big wave surfers in the world, Grant Twiggy Baker from South Africa riding a massive, almost too hard to tell how big bomb somewhere in the Atlantic ocean on 11/2/2020 during massive swell. So cool that the best wave is from a South African surfing in Europe which are two places that Jimmy loved and spent so much time.
Honorable mention in this category goes to Dayton Silva for ripping a wave at 4th street, Derek Brewer doing damage on a Lowers Left and Flavio Pires on a scream at Punta Mango in El Salvador.
Best Performance by a Boy Grommet: 12 year Cole Saffell from Team Maldives. It certainly helped that instead of surfing 2 foot Marine street that Cole and some friends and family hopped on a plane and a boat in the Maldives. Cole ripped a long, beautiful, aqua blue Maldives left. The idea of being on a boat in the Maldives with family and friends- perfect for the Virtual Jimmy.
Best Performance by a Girl Grommet: 8 year old Teagan Mesa from Team Gaviotas Groms. Teagan demolished a long, glassy, Las Gaviotas right with clean style and power in a small package. Looks like the 6am every morning surfs are paying off and we will see a lot more of Teagan in the future.
Honorable mention to Ava Saffell for a beautiful follow cam from the Maldives.
Best Wipeout: Usually the best wipeout goes to a single person but for the Virtual Jimmy we are giving it to the entire team.
Team BalkerCamp consists of Koa Balk (8); Ruby Balk (7); Van Parker (8); Finn Parker (7). The groms had an entire wipeout montage that had the judges in stitches. Was like a 1970’s surf film with a real wipeout section. We know that Koa and Ruby’s dad John would have loved to be pushing the kids in with his good friend Spencer and laughing as their kids face planted over and over into the shore pound. This year’s Jimmy is dedicated to John Balk and his legacy. John, your south bay community will keep and eye on your family and keep the major wipeouts to a minimum until we see you again.
Best Performance by a Family:
The Cherry Family – Will, Hilary, Beck and Cash. The music, the vibe, the use of the JMMF hat and the judges favorite “yea mom!” and “yea dad” made this video feel like we were at the real Jimmy on the beach.
Close battle to honorable mention The Silva family with Jodi.
Beach Lounger Award:
Team Camp Coye: Lexi Scholten 12; Coral Coye 12; Kai Coye 8; Gavin Kingston 12: This crew looked like they had the best beach day of them all. Halloween themed surfing on Halloween with the fog bank rolling in. The trip over the leash wipeout from Gavin Kingston sealed the deal because as he face planted he looked like he was lounging on the beach.
A few other non official awards…
Best Music: Team B2 Insurance with So Lonely by the Police. They know the judging panel well.
A close 2nd was team Camp Coye with I Remember Halloween from the Misfits.
Best Burn: Duquesne DiMauro who almost got barreled while burning what we hope is a friend on a solid overhead, glassy beauty.
Most Creative: Team Boogie Fever for dancing and comedy. Had a chance for more but Jimmy will always be a surf contest.
Thank you to everyone and we will see you on the beach in 2021!
How it Works!
- Form your team of four surfers of all levels
- Team captain register your team HERE ($100 per 4 person team)
- Go surf anywhere in the world between 10/15 and 11/15
- Film at least one wave per team member – we only need your best wave.
- Edit your videos together to have all four waves in one video
- Get extra points for representing JMMF in the video. Also, take a look at the special awards below and add in any extra clips.
- Upload your video to your YouTube or Facebook page
- Send in the name of your team, the list of team members and the link to your video to: JMMFfiesta@jimmymillerfoundation.org by November 15, 2020 at midnight.
- Wait for the winning team to be announced!
|1st Place Team||Spyder Surf Gift Cards|
|Best Wave||Trilogy Spa Gift Card|
|Best Grom Boy Performance||Sector 9 Gift Card|
|Best Grom Girl Performance||Next Session Gift Card|
|Best Wipeout||Spy Optics Gift Card|
|Best Family Performance||Fresh Brothers Gift Card|
|Beach Lounger Award||JMMF Basket|
Sponsorship positions are still available! Sponsors receive:
- Logo inclusion on all marketing communications
- Logo inclusion on the official t-shirt
- Logo inclusion on the event ad(s)
- Special thank you on the Announcement video(s)
Rules & Regs
The 2020 International Jimmy Surf Fiesta Team Challenge The Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Surf Fiesta, aka “The Jimmy”, is a unique team surf contest that brings together surfers, friends, and family to remember and celebrate the life of Jimmy Miller. Teams will consist of four team members from any skill level. Beginner and first time surfers are welcome and encouraged to participate! BY PARTICIPATING, YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH IS A CONTRACT.
1. Sponsors and Administrator: Sponsors: Presented by Kinecta and Powered by Givebox Administrator: JMMF 2711 Sepulveda Blvd #331 MB CA 90266
2. Contest Period: Contest begins on October 15, 2020 at 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) and ends on October 31, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. PT (the “Contest Period”). Administrator’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Contest.
3. Eligibility: The Competition is open to those of all ages that can safely engage. The Competition is open to legal residents from all over the world and is void where prohibited by their local law. Members of The Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Board, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Members”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Members are not eligible to win the Competition. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
4. How to Enter: Each team must purchase an entry.
Method of Entry: During the contest period, each team captain to upload the best wave for each team member to a private youtube account. Team captains to send an email to Jmmffiesta@jimmymillerfoundation.org with the name of each entrant on the team and a link to a video of their wave or one video of all four waves. Limit one (1) Entry per person/email address/social handle throughout the Contest Period. By submitting your Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to the Entry Guidelines and Content Restrictions listed below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsors, in their sole discretion, may remove your Entry and disqualify you from the Contest if they believe, in their sole discretion, your Entry fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions. By submitting your Entry, in addition to the rights granted below as outlined in Section 5 (Grant of Rights), you: (a) hereby waive any so-called moral (e.g., creative rights) in your Entry; (b) represent and warrant that you have the right to grant the rights granted in these Official Rules; and (c) represent and warrant that your Entry and its use as contemplated in these Official Rules does not and will not violate, misappropriate, or infringe upon any law or regulation or the rights of any third party, including any copyright, trademark, or any rights of publicity or privacy, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights. Entry Guidelines: Entrant must otherwise be eligible pursuant to Section 3 (Eligibility) and entrant must follow the instructions under Section 4 (How to Enter).
- All Entries will be evaluated by Sponsors to determine whether all individuals in the photograph reasonably appear and whether the video content is in compliance with these Official Rules.
- Entry must be in English or Spanish.
- Videos submitted must be in a format compliant with YouTube.
- Videos must be under 100 MB and under 60 seconds.
- Entry must be the entrant’s original creation and entrant must have the right to enter one hundred percent (100%) of the Entry in accordance with these Official Rules, including copyright and the permission of all individuals featured in the Entry.
- The Entry cannot have been submitted previously in a promotion of any kind.
- The Entry does not and will not violate, misappropriate, or infringe upon any law or regulation or the rights of any third party, including any copyright, trademark, or any rights of publicity or privacy, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
Content Restrictions: Entries may not contain or reflect any of the following (which shall be determined in the sole discretion of the Sponsors and Administrator):
- Irresponsible consumption of alcohol or drugs.
- The promotion and/or the use of tobacco, or firearms or other weapons
- The promotion of any activity that may appear to be unsafe, illegal and/or dangerous.
- Material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, disparaging of Sponsors, any brand or anyone else, or any content that contains profanity, obscenity, nudity, or sexual content.
- Material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Entry is created.
- Any content previously submitted in a promotion of any kind.
- Material that violates, misappropriates, or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including any copyright, trademark, or any rights of publicity or privacy, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Any political or politically themed or motivated messages, comments, statements, or images.
- Material that is subject to any third-party agreement or require payment or incurrence of any sums to obtain further permissions of any person or entity as a result of its use or exploitation of the comment(s), receipt, idea or rights therein or portions, or modified versions or derivative works thereof.
5. Grant of Rights: By submitting an Entry, entrants (and winners) grant to Sponsors (and Sponsors’ respective affiliates, licensees and assigns) a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, transferable, sublicensable, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, edit, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Entries, in whole or in part, and otherwise exploit the Entry, in all media now known or hereafter devised, throughout the universe, in any way Sponsors see fit, including, but not limited to, entertainment, instruction/education, promotional, internal, advertising and/or marketing purposes. In connection with all rights granted herein, Sponsors (and Sponsors’ respective affiliates, licensees and assigns) shall also have the irrevocable right to incorporate Entries, in whole or in part, into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or hereafter developed without territorial or time limitation. If necessary, each entrant will sign any necessary documentation that may be required for Sponsors or its designees to make use of the rights entrant is granting to use the Entry.
6. Winner Determination: Judging: Beginning November 1, 2020 PT and ending November 5, 2020 (the “Judging Period”) Judging to Determine the Winners: All Entries will be reviewed for appropriateness and compliance with these Official Rules. Following the conclusion of the Contest Period, all Entries will be judged by 3 judges (“Judges”). Entries shall be evaluated by the Judges based on the following criteria. The following criteria will be equally weighted
- Surfing Performance –Style, Maneuvers, Wave Length, Wave Quality, Wave Size and Commitment
- Creativity of the Entry
- Originality and Team Spirit
- Connection to the spirit of Jimmy, JMMF and the pure love of surfing in the video submission
Entries that receive the highest scores will be deemed the Prize winners pending verification. Judges’ decisions are final with respect to all matters relating to the Contest.
7. Identity of Entrant: If a dispute arises about the identity of an entrant, the Entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of Entry. An authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. The potential winners may be required to provide Sponsors with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the email address/Twitter handle/Instagram handle associated with the winning Entry.
8. Winner Notification: On or about November 7, 2020, prize winners will be contacted via email. If no response is provided by a potential winner within twenty-four (24) hours of when the first email or direct message was sent, the potential winner may be disqualified and another winner will be selected, time permitting. Once the potential winner responds, they will be sent an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability & Publicity Release (where legal) and will be required to complete, sign and return Declaration and Release via mail within four (4) days of when notification was sent in order for the potential winner to claim his/her prize.
9. Prizes and Approximate Retail Values (“ARV”): JMMF will supply prizes from the following Providers (past and present JMMF supporters).
|1st Place Team||Spyder Surf Gift Cards||$400.00|
|Best Wave||Trilogy Spa Gift Card||$100.00|
|Best Grom Boy Performance||Sector 9 Gift Card||$50.00|
|Best Grom Girl Performance||Next Session Gift Card||$50.00|
|Best Wipeout||Spy Optics Gift Card||$75.00|
|Best Family Performance||Fresh Brothers Gift Card||$75.00|
|Beach Lounger Award||JMMF Gift Basket||$75.00|
10. Prize Restrictions: Prizes cannot be substituted, assigned, transferred, or redeemed for cash; however, JMMF reserves the right to make equivalent prize substitutions at their sole discretion if the advertised prize becomes unavailable.
11. General Conditions: Sponsors reserve the right at any time, in their sole discretion, to suspend or cancel the Contest or any entrant’s participation in the Contest should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsors’ reasonable control affect the administration, security or proper play of the Contest, or Sponsors otherwise become (as determined in their sole discretion) incapable of running the Contest as planned. Sponsors, Administrator and their respective agencies are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen or misdirected entries; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections, garbled transmissions or miscommunications, telephone transmission problems; computer or software malfunctions or damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware); technical failures; or other errors or malfunctions of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic or otherwise. Proof of sending or submission of an Entry will not be deemed proof of receipt by Sponsors or Administrator. Sponsors’ or Administrator’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW, AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Sponsors reserve the right at their sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to be attempting to tamper with or undermine the Entry process, and/or the legitimate operation of the Contest; to violate the Official Rules; or to act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
12. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in this Contest, entrants agree that the Sponsors, Administrator, the prize suppliers and any other organizations responsible for sponsoring, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Contest, and all of their respective affiliates and related entities, and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents, attorneys, vendors, employees and other representatives (“Released Parties”), are not responsible for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (b) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, malfunctions, interruptions or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (c) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Entry process or the Contest; (d) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of Entries; (e) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of the prizes; or (f) any adverse health consequences which may result from the consumption of alcohol by entrant or others. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, ENTRANTS AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANTS AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, OR PROPERTY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE OR USE OF THE PRIZE, ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR IN ANY CONTEST RELATED ACTIVITY, OR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION OR INVASION OF PRIVACY, OR MERCHANDISE DELIVERY. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANY PRIZE CANNOT BE AWARDED DUE TO CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS, OR INTERRUPTIONS DUE TO ACTS OF GOD, ACTS OF WAR, NATURAL DISASTERS, WEATHER, PLAGUES, VIRUSES, DISEASES, PANDEMICS, EPIDEMICS OR TERRORISM. EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WINNERS GRANT TO SPONSORS AND ADMINISTRATOR (WHICH GRANT WILL BE CONFIRMED IN WRITING ON REQUEST OF SPONSORS AND/OR ADMINISTRATOR), AND THOSE ACTING PURSUANT TO THEIR AUTHORITY, THE RIGHT AND PERMISSION TO PRINT, PUBLISH, BROADCAST AND USE, WORLDWIDE IN ANY MEDIA NOW KNOWN OR HEREAFTER DEVELOPED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WORLD WIDE WEB, AT ANY TIME OR TIMES, THE WINNERS’ NAMES, PORTRAITS, PICTURES, VOICES, LIKENESSES, ENTRIES AND BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION FOR ADVERTISING, TRADE AND PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES WITHOUT ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATION, COMPENSATION, PERMISSION OR NOTIFICATION. ENTRANTS AGREE THAT SPONSORS SHALL OWN THE ENTRIES, WHICH WILL NOT BE ACKNOWLEDGED OR RETURNED. NO FORM OF ENTRY OTHER THAN AS STATED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
13. Miscellaneous: The Contest and these Official Rules will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of California. Except where prohibited, by participating in this Contest, entrant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or awarding of the prizes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Contest but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply to you. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsors, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsors reserve the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in their sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Contest or any entrant’s participation in the Contest should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, or other causes beyond Sponsor’s reasonable control affect the administration, security or proper play of the Contest, or the Contest otherwise becomes (as determined in their sole discretion) incapable of being running as planned, which shall be determined in Sponsors’ sole discretion. Entrants who violate these Official Rules; violate any law, rule or regulation in connection with participation in the Contest; tamper with the operation of the Contest or engage in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to Sponsors, the Contest or any other entrant (in each case as determined in Sponsors’ sole discretion) are subject to disqualification from Entry into the Contest. Sponsors reserve the right to lock out persons whose eligibility is in question or who have been disqualified or are otherwise ineligible to enter the Contest. Any provision of these Official Rules deemed unenforceable will be enforced to the fullest extent permissible, and the remainder of these Official Rules will remain in effect.
14. Official Rules and Winners List: For a copy of the Official Rules, visit https://jmmf.wpengine.com/The Jimmy For a list of winners, email JMMFfiesta@jimmymillerfoundation.org with the subject “The Jimmy Contest Winners.” Official Rules and winners’ list shall be posted through November 31, 2020. Proceeds: The proceeds from the Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Surf Fiesta, aka “The Jimmy”, will be used to further the JMMF’s efforts to heal mental and physical illness and injury through surfing and ocean-related activities. Our mission is to carry on the legacy of Jim’s pure love of surfing by sharing the ocean’s power to heal. No refunds. JMMF is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) #20-1702191 organization.